Re: Win2000 question

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 00:15:09 -0800

> Does anyone here have Oracle on a Win2000 Server? Does it work well, and
> without fault (in no, then how often?)

No. It is just as flaky, well almost as flaky, as previous versions of Windows. I wouldn't expect the kind of stability, or security, or I/O one would typically get from Solaris or HP/UX.

> Next, if you do, when specs do you have for your server?

I don't. I would expect to reboot it every two to four weeks depending upon load no matter what vendor, what CPU, or how much RAM.

> Lastly, how good/bad an idea would it be to run an Oracle database, about
> 20gig in size, with about 6 people accessing it on a standard PC (non-server
> hardware), but with Win2000 Server OS. This system, of course, would be
> very powerful, top of the line type machine. There will be NO internet
> access or remote access. Everything will be done in-house.

You should be fine with only six users. The only caveat I can think of is that the queries they are running not be attempting to return huge volumes of data.

BTW: Look for a used Solaris machine. They still outperform Windoze and can be had at a comparable price.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Mar 07 2001 - 02:15:09 CST