Re: Need help with Oracle for Netware - Multiple Instances on the same box

From: Ian Ledzion <ian.ledzion_at_xlgbow.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:58:56 +0100

Thanks for the info. A few thoughts:

Know how you feel about going to Oracle then asking for new servers. For a 1st step, going with Novell was fine, but once you push the envelope things go downhill fast as we all know. What really changed my mind about the platform was waiting days+days+days for a technical answer from support.

As for management, I'm positioning it as part 2 of a two stage migration, first upgrade & get up to speed on the DB, then shift the underlying OS...

"steve" <E_at_E.COM> wrote in message news:1epwsov.n0f8jdpprygqN%E_at_E.COM...
> hi,
> the problem was with older versions, since the poster did not state what
> he was using.
>
> there are several issues,
>
> 1. oracle appear to be de-supporting all 8/8I versions of the oracle (
> thanks oracle, just as I convinced management to forkout big $$$ for
> your software)
>
> 2. There is something about de-support on netware for all current+future
> versions floating about on their website.
>
> 3. all novell software tracks have disappeared. ( $200 for a cd for
> development)
>
> 4. I've been using oracle on netware and find it a sloppy/buggy
> implementation. 8 thru 8.1.5.0.4.
>
> I also want to drop the novell, but cannot convince management to pay
> for a 'REAL' server, so opted for linux, which would be a re-format and
> re-install of a current novell 4.2 2 licence server.
>

> steve
>
> Ian Ledzion <ian.ledzion_at_xlgbow.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Steve,
> >
> > We've got oracle 8.1.5.0.4 on NetWare 5.0i, and never had multi-instance
> > problems. However we have had *many* compatibility & support issues and
 are
> > looking at migrating to Sun. Problem is I've got to find arguments
 convince
> > management to fork out $$$s for the migration! Do you know of a
 document
> > from Oracle about de-supporting NetWare?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ian.
> >
> > "steve" <E_at_E.COM> wrote in message news:1epw68i.hlpincmgq704N%E_at_E.COM...
> > > Hi, couple of points, 1.there was a know problem on netware with
> > > multiple instances on the same box, depending on the oracle version.
 2.
> > > oracle have de-supported netware, you may be better looking at
 possibly
> > > linux.
> > >
> > > steve

> > > machines, I want to run them > on one server. > > I think it has to go
> > > some thing like this: > svrmgr > set instance s:sid1 >
 connect
> > > internal > startup pfile=...pfile1 > disconnect > set
 instance