Re: What does a DBA do on a regular basis?

From: Dave Weeks <dave_at_tc3.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:42:15 -0000

Pat Boivin <lori.pat_at_ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:3AA43405.CA0B60D5_at_ns.sympatico.ca...
> At work they prepared new generic DBA job descriptions, and there is not
> a word in there about system administration.
>
> I guess I am ranting a bit about this, but how often do you find that
> management has no idea what a DBA does? They are used to what system
> admin's do, because that role has existed for so long, but DBAs are
> sometimes seen as simple software administrators.
>
> Are there many people out there whose responsibilities don't include any
> SA work on paper, but in real life there is a considerable overlap with
> what SA's do?
>
> Regards,
> Patrice Boivin
> Halifax, Canada.

Hello Mr. Software Developer, your job is now extended with the simple task of learning Oracle. Hey, it's just like Access, should be easy and all our clients with their 50Mb databases will be using it. Go on the 3 week DBA training course and come back ready to configure replicated environments for applications no-one knows anything about. BTW, what do you do all day, seems like a waste of time reading comp.databases.oracle.server. Didn't they teach you it all on the courses already? Better start writing those procedures for parallel recovery on multi-processor servers, I'm sure it's a walk in the park for you.

</rant> Received on Tue Mar 06 2001 - 06:42:15 CST