Re: Oracle and MTS

From: Scott Watson <rscottwatson_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:53:48 -0500

Welcome to N-Tier....

It has been a while since I did any developement so forgive me if I get some of this wrong.

A client will connect to your business server that has your business objects running inside of MTS (microsoft transaction server). Your business object will make calls to the database regardless of where the database is or what platform it is running on. When you start a transaction (assuming the object is marked as supports transactions) a MSDTC transaction will begin if one doesn't exists already in the current context. When you call SetComplete or SetAbort the MS-DTC (distributed transaction co-ordinator) will send a message to Oracle using a standard called XA. At this point the transaction will either commit or rollback depending on the method you called or bla bla bla you know how it works. Anyway, in version 7 and 8 of Oracle this was handeled by XA transactions. I believe that 8i has better support for MTS and it might be supported without using the XA standard but I have not looked into it. See the reference guide for Oracle with MTS in you documentation.

Hope that helps
Scott.