How to use both 'connect / as sysdba' and OS authentication?

From: Baldo <dana.stockler_at_twobits.no>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 08:26:13 +0100

I've been using OS authentication for quite a few years now and can't live without it. Oracle says I have to stop using 'connect internal' and start using 'connect / as sysdba'. Fair enough.

What's got me scratching my old bald head is how to use them both at the same time.

On my Windows NT4/SP6 / Oracle 8.1.7 box:

If I set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=NONE in the sqlnet.ora file (or remove it entirely), then OS authentication works okay, but 'connect / as sysdba' results in 'ORA-01031: insufficient privileges'.

If I set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=NTS in the sqlnet.ora file, then 'connect / as sysdba' works okay, but OS authentication results in 'ORA-01017: invalid username/ password; logon denied'.

Could some kind soul please tell me how I can use the new 'connect / as sysdba' functionality while retaining the use of OS authentication? Please don't tell me it can't be done. I don't think my old ticker could take it.

TIA,
Baldo Received on Mon Mar 05 2001 - 01:26:13 CST