Re: How to use both 'connect / as sysdba' and OS authentication?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:33:59 +1100

"Baldo" <dana.stockler_at_twobits.no> wrote in message news:3AA38115.7B0E4420_at_twobits.no...
> (Sorry if this turns up twice. We've had problems with our news server.)
>
> I've been using OS authentication for quite a few years now
> and can't live without it. Oracle says I have to stop using 'connect
> internal' and start using 'connect / as sysdba'. Fair enough.
>
> What's got me scratching my old bald head is how to use them
> both at the same time.
>
> On my Windows NT4/SP6 / Oracle 8.1.7 box:
>
> If I set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=NONE
> in the sqlnet.ora file (or remove it entirely), then OS authentication
> works okay, but 'connect / as sysdba' results in 'ORA-01031:
> insufficient privileges'.

I'm confused. "Connect / as sysdba" *IS* O/S authentication, since you are not providing a username or password, and hence Oracle goes to check that there is an ORA_DBA group setup, and that you, the NT User, are a member of said group.

So how os authentication works OK, yet that fails, is a bit meaningless.

UNLESS.... What you mean is that *ordinary* users can get on to the database, but Privileged Users cannot using O/S authentication techniques?? Or vice versa.

Put it this way: O/S authentication for ordinary Users is complete hokum. You log onto the NT box as "rasputin" (it *could* happen!). Your init.ora says that the OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX is 'blah'. Provided that you have issued the command 'create User blahrasputin identified externally' then O/S authentication works. It's hokum, because actually there is a user entry in the data dictionary that equals prefix+o/s logon -really, the data dictionary is being used.

For Privileged Users, however, hokum won't work. There is a group -usually ORA_DBA, but conceivably ORA_<sid>_DBA which is a normal, NT group. Unless you, rasputin, have been added as a member of that group, then you cannot connect as a Privileged User using O/S authentication.

> If I set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=NTS
> in the sqlnet.ora file, then 'connect / as sysdba' works okay,
> but OS authentication results in 'ORA-01017: invalid username/
> password; logon denied'.

Again, I don't understand how you can claim that 'connect / as sysdba' works, but O/S authentication doesn't. "Connect / as sysdba" IS O/S authentication in action.

> Could some kind soul please tell me how I can use the new
> 'connect / as sysdba' functionality while retaining the use of
> OS authentication? Please don't tell me it can't be done. I don't
> think my old ticker could take it.

Well, I'm not clear exactly what the problem is, but be clear on the distinction between Bob gaining access to the database without having to supply a Username and Password because he has already logged on to the NT domain (hokum) and you, the DBA, being able to successfully issue the 'connect / as sysdba' because you have successfully logged on to the NT domain and therefore acquired ORA_DBA group membership/privileges (non-hokum).

Regards
HJR