Re: Re: Re: Sequence Number Re-use is it possible, what is the standard

From: <u28656005_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:06:23 GMT

Dear Spencer,

In your posting Re: Re: Sequence Number Re-use is it possible, what is the standard from Sat, 3 Mar 2001 17:58:54 -0600 you write:

> have you considered postponing the assignment of the
> unique sequence number until a row is actually inserted
> into the table? i'm thinking that your "problem" could be
> resolved with a small change to the application design.
>
> a "bid" isn't really a "bid" until it is "saved", so it doesn't
> really make sense to acquire and assign a unique key
> until it is inserted into the table.

Actually a bid is a bid even before it is entered into the program. We enter it  into the system to track it. And they need to see the bid number first, that was one of their requirements.

But thanks for the suggestion, and the reply.

Mark

--
Spam protected message from:
Sent by  mspritzler from sasco within area com