Re: Practical Oracle 8i by Jonathan Lewis?

From: Pat Boivin <lori.pat_at_ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 01:15:38 GMT

I read his book too, I think it's excellent.

There is a little comment I disagreed with in there though, he states that more slower CPUs is better than a few fast ones. My take on this is that it's better to have fewer, fast CPUs than more slower ones. My servers don't have more than a handful of active sessions at a time, though -- maybe that explains why I differ on this point. Also my servers only have 2 CPUs at best, he may have been talking about 5+ CPU machines.

I liked the fact that he didn't just re-hash stuff you can find in the Oracle-supplied manuals. Very refreshing, I wish more people would write Oracle books like this one.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Oracle DBA
Halifax, Canada