Re: Capacity Planning for 8i on W2K

From: Pat Boivin <lori.pat_at_ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 01:00:43 GMT

Today I was testing OEM 2.2. on an 8.1.6 repository on a single-CPU NT4SP5 test server with roughly 390M of RAM. The only connections are mine: OEM console, and SQL*Plus from the desktop. No user sessions at all.

The memory utilisation climbs to 360M, and never goes above that. NT refuse to load anything above that, even though there is 1G of virtual memory available. The Oracle tools require RAM, not virtual memory. Instead of climbing above 360M of memory, applications just refuse to start. Funny things start to happen.

I am still testing.

The java-based OEM tools gobble memory like crazy; DBA Studio alone used up 18M of RAM for the connection. I am more used to seeing 2-8M of memory per session on my Tru64 UNIX server.

I convinced management to order me another 256M of RAM. This is a P-III test server, perhaps to become an OEM repository. After the additional 256M of RAM if I still have problems we will have to upgrade the machine, no doubt about it.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Halifax, Canada.