Re: Dropping Index Partitions

From: Dave Haas <davidh_at_--nospam--hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 19:05:13 GMT

Hi Buck.

The answer lies in the definition of "local" index.

Basically, a local index HAS to have the same # of partitions as the table it indexes. You therefore cannot drop one local index partition because then the number of partitions in the table and the number of partitions in the index would be different.

A global index, on the other hand, does not have the requirement that the # of index and table partitions be the same. So if you drop an global index partition, things essentially get redistributed among the remaining partitions (because you can only drop a hash partition if memory serves).

HTH, Dave Haas