multiple unable to extend - 1 disk sort - what am I missing?

From: Tom <zuestra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 00:23:48 -0500

There was about an hour period where the alert log for an 8.1.6 database showed unable to extent TEMP by 256 about 25 times. (800MB of temporary files) I ran a statspack report on a snapshot one hour before that, and 2 hours after, and it only reported one disk sort. At the time there was a 1,000 log on stress test going on. (no batch), so I find it odd that one disk sort could a) account for such a huge sort without any large batch or bad reporting query etc., and b) cause multiple unable to extent messages. Wouldn't that one disk sort have just failed and quit the one time? Any insight as to what could be going on here or what else to look at in the report..

Thanks in Advance. Received on Sun Mar 04 2001 - 23:23:48 CST