Determining Which Row Failed In Insert ... Select Without Using A Cursor

From: Greg Teets <gteets_at_rr.cinci.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 13:52:14 GMT

Is there a direct way (without using a cursor) to determine which row failed when there is an error in the following example bulk insert statement. We are using Oracle 7.3.

INSERT INTO table_test(col1, col2)
SELECT(foo, bar);

I am optimizing this package for speed. This statement will need to process hundreds of thousands of rows.

Because the data has been scrubbed for forseeable errors we expect few inserts to fail. However, if one does fail the user would like to see the row in an error file.

If I can't find the row directly without using a cursor, I have some code that I can put in the exception section or I can use SQL loader.

Thanks in advance. Received on Sat Mar 03 2001 - 07:52:14 CST