Re: What does a DBA do on a regular basis?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 09:40:48 -0800

> I would like to know what jobs DBA's do on a regular basis? Do you have
> a schedule for checking alert log? Analyzing tables? etc. etc.
>
> I am trying to learn what the job of DBA would be like if I ever could
> work my way into one.

DBA is not one job ... it is three. And they are very different.

  1. DataBase Architect

Involved in the design of systems working with ERD tools such as Designer and ERwin. Gathering requirements, selecting hardware and dealing with network I/O issues. This person may never write a single SQL statement as part of a project but must know enough to make decisions, in many cases, about the basic requirements and design of the system.

2. Development DBA

This person is usually a very senior developer with a broad knowledge of Oracle's architecture, SQL, PL/SQL, sizing of tablespaces and database objects, and optimizing procedures, functions, packages, etc. Can do things such as determine when it is appropriate to use B-Tree vs. Bitmap indexes. Uses SQL*Plus, SQL*Loader, can configure tnsnames, sqlnet, listeners, modify init.ora files, and supports development efforts. Probably never has to do a back-up and recovery but probably does imports and exports.

3. Production DBA
Responsible for installation, configuration, back-up, restoration, and optimization of production Oracle databases. Depending on the company may or may not write SQL other than to support database monitoring. An expert on the data dictionary and knows the to use that data dictionary to monitor all aspects of database performance and tune based upon that research.

The above is very general. In small companies one person may perform all three jobs. In very large companies more layers may exist. But qualification for one of the three jobs is not qualification for any other: Though it is probably a very good start.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Mar 03 2001 - 11:40:48 CST