Upgrading 8.0.5 to 8.1.6

From: Chris S <cschofie_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 18:06:42 GMT

I have read the Oracle docs on this, and I conclude that I have two choices in my situation -

  1. do a full export; uninstall; install 816; full import or
  2. go through the migration process.

I'm very familiar with (1) and it has worked in the past. I'm interested in understanding more about (2). From what I read, I still uninstall 805 first, but I retain the datafiles, then after installing 816, I run various scripts in server manager.

My question is - at the end of this process, I'm guessing that all my tablespaces will be named according to the 8.0.5 method - (user_data, etc), and the tablespace settings will still retain the defaults in place for 8.0.5. So if I want a 'pure' 8.1.6 environment, I really need to do the export/imort method?

It also seems like I need to manually move my database storage files 'out of' the old 8.0.5 area and into the new 8.1.6 area - that is, if my files were in 'd:\orant\database', they'll still be there even though the default 8.1.6 storage area is 'd:\ora8i\oradata' (or similar). To achieve this, I'll need to edit the various files to re-point to the new locations. Is this true, and if so, are there any tricks to make it relatively foolproof? Of course, I could leave them where they are, but that's undesirable for me.

Thanks, Chris.

Remove 'nospam' from email to reply - Thanks Received on Sat Mar 03 2001 - 12:06:42 CST