Re: Oracle 8.1.7 available for Solaris x86 (Intel) ?

From: John D Groenveld <groenvel_at_cse.psu.edu>
Date: 3 Mar 2001 19:37:24 -0500

Not very strange, just typical braindamage from Oracle management. Unfortunately, managers don't read Usenet.

I seem to recall that when the Oracle online store first opened you could only buy Windows NT and Solaris sparc. I suspect that over time either customers or the product managers for ports to other platforms have seen that their favorite platform was available via the store.

The same is probably true for Oracle Technet and the limited number of ports available by download. Join Technet and complain there.

I don't know why Metalink hasn't been updated to reflect 8.1.7's order-ability or certification status for Solaris x86. File a TAR.

Its unfortunate that so many people construe the lack of a free download for the Solaris x86 version as a lack of support. Its also unfortunate that Oracle's management hasn't gotten help for their apparent crack cocain problem. Just lay off the pipe!
John
groenveld_at_acm.org Received on Sat Mar 03 2001 - 18:37:24 CST