Re: a general 'Transactions in a database' question

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 00:39:18 GMT

You didn't mention what version of Oracle, but

  1. In all versions of Oracle, you could use auditing to capture and audit trail. This will add some overvhead, and you may find it difficult to track a particular row. See http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/ a76965/c27audit.htm
  2. In Oracle8i, Logminer gives you another offline capability you may suffice for what you are looking for. You can track who did 'what' to what rows - however, you won't actually see the what (i.e DML statments), just the affect they had. See http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/ a76956/archredo.htm#12680