Re: Design Tool?

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 00:54:31 GMT

    There is no ideal tool. Currently I'm using Designer 6i version 2 and it has some problems. To take advantage of all the new Oracle features I have standard scripts for object creation that deal with things like deferrable constraints, function-based indexes, bitmapped indexes, naming all constraints, etc. The scripts provide a template for new objects so not very much has to be rewritten and I don't have to memorize syntax.

    If I'm not doing a project in Designer that starts at the very top with dataflows and business rules, then I just use it as a CASE tool, create the objects from scripts and reverse engineer what I've created in Designer for the diagrams.

    The scripts are completely portable and this system seems to work as well as any other.

Van