Re: Btrieve to Oracle Migration -- Any Interest?

From: RMerchant <shirleymerchant_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 22:24:49 -0500

Well, re-write is not always viavle , specially if you have large applications already deployed at 100s of sites. Granted that rewriting has definite advantages (and significant costs!), but if a tool is able to read your table structure, understand your index definition and generate an optimize SQL statement for you, it should have appeal to a lot of companies. Specially if we can prove that performance is still great.

regards,

Riaz Merchant / riazm_at_mertechdata.com
www.mertechdata.com

"Ted Knijff" <knijff_at_bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:3a9ead86.820339_at_news.online.de...
> Hi,
> we had some applications a long, long time ago with
> Btrieve/Novell-XSQL/Pervasive (the 80's ?). We ported some of the Data
> to Oracle. The problem is, your code was written to use Btrieve but
> Oracle is a whole new ballpark (Records versus Result-Sets). My advice
> for what it's worth, rewrite it.
>
> Ted
>
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 01:10:26 -0500, "RMerchant"
> <shirleymerchant_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >Our company has developed database drivers and migration tools that
 allow
> >programs written for ISAM databases to work with Oracle backend without
> >changing any source code. The migration tool converts ISAM databases to
> >Oracle and the middleware passes all database operations to Oracle. Our
> >company has had great success with moving DataFlex databases to Oracle.
 The