Re: Sequence Number Re-use is it possible, what is the standard

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:03:15 +0100

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:59:37 GMT,
u28656005_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net wrote:

>We have a system that uses a Sequence table to get id's for our bids.
>
>In our application the user might click new, which gets the nextval.
>
>But if they click new again, or they close the program, we obviously
>
>lose that number from the sequence table. What do most people do about
>
>this. We really don't want to lose this number, and there will
>
>eventually be over 200 users getting unique id's from our sequence. So
>
>unused numbers can go pretty rapidly.
>
>Has anyone done something like, put the unused numbers into a table,
>
>have the program first look to see if there are any record in this
>
>table, and grab one of these numbers and uses it, and if they find no
>
>records it goes to the sequence table. Is this a stupid idea?
>

>Inquiring minds want to know
>
>Thank you very much for your help.
>

>Mark

Use the nocache option of the create sequence command, which will at least take away the buffer of pre-created sequence numbers, and for the rest : don't bother. The maximum sequence number is 2^32 -1, which you probably won't even reach before you retire.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Feb 28 2001 - 12:03:15 CST