Sequence Number Re-use is it possible, what is the standard

From: <u28656005_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:59:37 GMT

We have a system that uses a Sequence table to get id's for our bids.

In our application the user might click new, which gets the nextval.

But if they click new again, or they close the program, we obviously

lose that number from the sequence table. What do most people do about

this. We really don't want to lose this number, and there will

eventually be over 200 users getting unique id's from our sequence. So

unused numbers can go pretty rapidly.

Has anyone done something like, put the unused numbers into a table,

have the program first look to see if there are any record in this

table, and grab one of these numbers and uses it, and if they find no

records it goes to the sequence table. Is this a stupid idea?

Inquiring minds want to know

Thank you very much for your help.

Mark

--
Sent  by mspritzler  from sasco part of  com