Partitionned tables

From: <laurent.citton_at_socgen.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:58:01 GMT

Hi all,

I was previously using partition views on Oracle 7.3 and I am currently migrating to Oracle 8i.

Oracle doc says that partition views should not be used anymore, but partitionned tables should be used instead.

However, my partitions were based on a single column, each distinct value of the column giving a partition. I have a limited number of values for this column and therefore a limited number of partitions. Inserting a row into this table is not possible if the partition has not been definied first.

The problem is that partitionned tables are based on range of values, not on single values.

In O7 it looked like

create table t1 (id number, type varchar2(10)); alter table t1 add constraint c1 check (type='VALUE1'); create table t2 (id number, type varchar2(10)); alter table t2 add constraint c2 check (type='VALUE2');

create view v as
select id, type from t1
union all
select id, type from t2;

How can I create a partition table whose ranges are limited to a single value ? I do not want to use hash partitions, because I need to have a direct access to partitions data.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Laurent Received on Tue Feb 27 2001 - 03:58:01 CST