Re: pro*c

From: Dave Pulaski <dave_at_dpulaski.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 23:57:12 -0500

Your terminology is a bit backwards, which might be causing some confusion. Ok, so you wrote a program in Pro*C, which is just a C program with the embedded SQL calls using the proper API syntax. You need to run it through the Oracle Pro*C precompiler, which basically comments out the embedded SQL calls that you put in and translates it into plain C syntax, using calls to the Pro*C libraries. This results in a regular C source code file, which is then compiled into an executable binary by the regular compiler. To simplify compilation, the Pro*C package comes with a sample makefile that you can modify to compile your source. Look in the top-level directory where Pro*C is installed (if you don't know where it is, search for a file named "pcc", which is the precompiler executeable. Unless you are well versed in Makefile voodoo, this will probably give you some headaches, but just pay attention to the compile-time errors and eventually you'll figure it out. It's not all that bad.

HTH, Dave Pulaski
Database Consultant

--
David A. Pulaski