Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: Oracle's tuning guidelines (Was: Re: Need suggestions for filesystem config, spindle separation, striping for HP-UX/PeopleSoft)

Re: Oracle's tuning guidelines (Was: Re: Need suggestions for filesystem config, spindle separation, striping for HP-UX/PeopleSoft)

From: John K. Hayes <aikosys_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:22:12 GMT

That's right, Fred. Reading that Oracle manual is somewhat less than eye-opening. It sure does seem to be self contradictory. But, as far as doing the index & table reads in parallel goes - that would not be possible, since the table read could not occur until after the index read completed since the first is a prerequisite in order to do the second. But I agree, that stuff about the drive head on one disk being on the table while the head on another disk is on the index does not make sense - unless they're talking about writes, which would explain the reference to OLTP.

John