Re: Oracle 8i and ODBC connection problem

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:54:52 GMT

We can see that you are new at this :-)

To explain (very briefly) :
On a server :
- You set up the Database - that is an SID in Oracle terms. - you set up a Listener (NET8) which is a program that connects   the SID to the network and listens for clients to call. On a client :
- you set up a NET8 client which talks to the Listener.   The settings are saved in tnsnames.ora on the client. - you set up ODBC which talks to the NET8 client So :
- when you TNSPING, you call the Listener (not the server).   You need to know whether you set up Listener correctly   (the default is on tcp/ip port 1521 so try ping that)

Your ASP is probably talking to the server via ICP or Bequeth, the local protocol for NET8. That means the SID is up and running. Go to the server and configure a Listener on TCP/IP, SID like ORCL or ORC1, port 1521 and give it a name like myora(.world). Now go to the client and tnsping myora.world or just myora. Now set up ODBC on the client, the server name in the ODBC setup string is now myora. And bingo.

Hth, and I am not too condescending !

Ted
On 26 Feb 2001 01:46:10 -0600, ziggs <> wrote:

>Thx for replay. I'm not sure if it's on my Server or not. I checked
>the Add/Remove area in and did not see it or something similar. Also,
>I checked the Services area and did not see it. Where would I find
>it? Was I looking in the right areas?
>
>Thanks a bunch! As you can tell, I'm new at this.
>
>On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:54:39 GMT, "sp" <sdpant_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Just a guess, did you install MDAC?
>>SP
>><ziggs> wrote in message news:8jf99t03co79p1sajkfflvns8u59kb48i2_at_4ax.com...
>>> We have an oracle DB on a web server and it will do ASP just fine.
>>> However, when I try to connect to the same oracle DB with the same
>>> ASP's on a different server, the different server won't connect to via
>>> ODBC. The oracle DB is 8i. I am able to use Crystal Reports to
>>> access the same oracle DB and also MS access, so I'm stumped. Any
>>> ideas?

EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Mon Feb 26 2001 - 10:54:52 CST