Re: What's the default manager password?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:22:56 +1100

Depends what you mean by the 'manager user'

If you mean 'the user who is allowed to start, stop, backup and recover the database', then the user is SYS and the password to do those Privileged Actions is "oracle" -but you have to announce you want to connect as a Privileged User by including the magic words "as sysdba'.

So the full connect string would be "connect sys/oracle as sysdba".

Some people are sure to tell you to do a "connect internal". Don't. "Internal" is simply a short-hand way of typing the full 'sys/oracle as sysdba' syntax. What's wrong with a bit of short-hand? It's disappearing in 9i, that's what. And if you get into the habit now, and develop lots of juicy DBA-type scripts based on it, they will all cease to function when you upgrade.

The other default user is SYSTEM, password 'manager'. But SYSTEM cannot do Privileged Actions. So the connect string is 'connect system/manager'. Period. Although SYSTEM cannot do Privileged Actions, nevertheless, SYSTEM is a very powerful User, and can do most of the things that one would normally associate with day-to-day database management (like creating Users, adding datafiles, re-organising tablespaces and so on).

Incidentally, SYS has the weird ability also to connect as a NON-privileged User. The connect string is 'connect sys/change_on_install'. Period. At which point, SYS becomes merely as powerful as SYSTEM. An attempt to shutdown the database having logged on as SYS in this way would produce the error message "insufficient privileges". I'd advise against ever logging on as SYS in this form, since SYSTEM is just as good for most purposes, without the risks of getting confused as to which *version* of SYS you've connected as.

Hope that helps,