Re: Help me on CLOB, XML and "&" character

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:35:40 +0100

You need to have the ' escaped by another quote, like this '' Do you have manuals?
Your questions are of a very basic nature, and I think you would proceed faster, if you did try to find this issue in the manual. Now you have to wait maybe a few hours before you get (if at all) responded)
They are online at http://technet.oracle.com and in this case you would need top refer to the description of the string datatype

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 05:26:21 -0800, "Ronggolawe" <radenjava_at_theglobe.com> wrote:

> [...]
>SP2-0042: unknown command "</PUB>" - rest of line ignored.
>
>How do I change the QUOTE for inserting data ? beacuse I think it's the
>problem since the XML data has multiple QUOTE in it.
>
>Here some of samples XML Data I'm going to put on database:
><DOC>
><DOCNO>FT911-1</DOCNO>
><PROFILE>_AN-BENBQAD8FT</PROFILE>
><DATE>910514
></DATE>
><HEADLINE>
>FT 14 MAY 91 / (CORRECTED) Jubilee of a jet that did what it was designed
>to do
></HEADLINE>
><TEXT>
>Correction (published 16th May 1991) appended to this article.
>'FRANK, it flies]' shouted someone at Sir Frank Whittle during the maiden
>flight of a British jet. 'Of course it does,' replied Sir Frank, who
>patented the first aircraft gas turbine. 'That's what it was bloody well
>designed to do, wasn't it?'
>Exactly 50 years ago yesterday, the first British jet made a brief 17-minute
>flight from RAF Cranwell in Lincolnshire. To celebrate the event, Mr Eric
>'Winkle' Brown, a 72-year-old test pilot of the prototype Gloster Whittle
>jet, Mr Geoffrey Bone, a 73-year-old engineer, and Mr Charles McClure, a
>75-year-old pilot, returned to RAF Cranwell. They are seen in front of a
>restored Meteor NF 11. Sir Frank was unable to attend because of ill-health.
>The Gloster Whittle was not the first jet to fly: a Heinkel 178 had its
>maiden flight in August 1939, 21 months before the British aircraft.
>Correction (published 16th May 1991).
>THE PICTURE of a Gloster Whittle jet on Page 7 of the issue of Tuesday May
>14, was taken at Bournemouth Airport and not at RAF Cranwell as stated in
>the caption.
></TEXT>
><PUB>The Financial Times
></PUB>
><PAGE>
>London Page 7 Photograph (Omitted).
></PAGE>
></DOC>
>

>In article <t9hsreg4h8i2d6_at_corp.supernews.com>, "Richard Sutherland"
><rvsutherland_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Within SQL*Plus and before starting your script, enter
>>
>> set define off
>>
>> This will prevent SQL*Plus from searching for substitution characters.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Richard Sutherland
>>
>> Ronggolawe <radenjava_at_theglobe.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, can anyone help me with this problem ? I'm trying to insert a bunch
>>> of XML data to Oracle 8i, so I create table docs with column (id
>>> number, xmldata CLOB). However some of the XML data has some character
>>> such as
>>> &amp; and USF&G, thus when I execute sql script for inserting the data
>>> using sqlplus it giving me some error such as: Enter value for amp:
>>> Enter value for g: Can anyone tell me how can I excecute the script

 the
>>> & character ?
>>> Thank you very much for your help.

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Feb 25 2001 - 08:35:40 CST