Re: oracle 8i user creation problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:51:51 +1100

Intrigued as to why you'd want to do this in the first place, nevertheless if you want an equivalent of SYS, simply issue the 'grant sysdba to fred' command. For that to work, you must have remote_login_passwordfile set to 'EXCLUSIVE' in your init.ora, and there must actually *be* a password file. Once done, however, fred will be able to log on thus: connect fred/usualoldpassword AS SYSDBA. And he will find himself an exact equivalent of the user SYS.

Actually, he won't be an *equivalent* of the user SYS.... he will actually *BE* connected as SYS, as a quick check of 'select user from dual' will reveal.

Indeed, try select user from dual when *you* are connected as Internal, too.... you'll find your connected as SYS as well.

From which you should deduce that the attempt to create a User that looks and feels like SYS is a waste of time, and probably impossible.

Regards