Re: How to customize 8i Client installer?

From: Doug Coan <volleyball_at_ntr.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:04:31 -0500

Some thoughts..........

  1. unless there is a real need... don't load the client on the client. Install it to a network attached drive. Use reg edit to cut out the few oracle registry entries and distribute that. Now your client software is easy to rollout and modify. Also TNSNAMES changes are done in one spot. We support over 5,000 and 45 servers clients this way and a new tnsnames change takes about 2 minutes.
  2. If you have to do a client install, the tnsnames can still reside on the network. Use the TNS_ADMIN registry entry to do this. Also, the same batch file .reg file rollout concept works.
  3. If you want something more than this and still want to do a full client install.. you can use wise install. It's inexpensive, easy and flexible.
  4. Look at onames. We have not used it because we found it a bit unreliable in our environment. I have not used it since 8.0.5 however and perhaps it is much better now.

Hope this helps - Good Luck Received on Sat Feb 24 2001 - 08:04:31 CST