Re: OReilly Perfomance Tuning Book

From: kyle hailey <oraperf_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:21:25 -0800

There are *few* books I've liked on Oracle and, though I read it years ago, I remember the O'Reilly being a great book at the time it came out. I doubt there is anything "wrong" with it but of course with v8 it *is* a bit out dated, not for being wrong but lack of info on new features.

An up to date wonderful new book I got last week is Jonathan Lewis' 8i book:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/
Probably the best book I've ever seen on Oracle.

It's a great general DBA book, well written and well organized. Its full of deep internals insights without getting lost in them and at same time providing a beautifully broad overview of Oracle. It is dense , hands on and very Oracle 8i. I was immediately sucked into the first chapter even though I already new it well because it was well written and had a good spin on and made it enjoyable to review the concepts. The rest of the book had tons of new teritory for me, covering and amaizing amount of information. It is packed with new feature stuff and tons of practical examples, experiences and tricks. There has obviously been hours and tons of wonderful testing of these features to provide the depth on of knowledge found in this book. Bravo

  I would think the O'Reilly would provide a good solid Oracle base and then JL's book would be the perfect compliment and bring you up to date with 8i.

Best
Kyle Hailey Received on Sat Feb 24 2001 - 05:21:25 CST