Re: Multiple simultaneous 7.3.4 Installs

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:38:00 +0100

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:23:45 -0600, "Ravi Alluru" <ralluru_at_calgary.geoquest.slb.com> wrote:

>Hi ,
> We were conducting a training in which several users would be
>simultaneously installing new oracle instances(orace 7.3.4) on the same Unix
>server (SunOS 5.6) with different SIDS and ORACLE_HOMES from remote logins.
>That worked fine ..
>- But after the instance install they all were supposed to connect as a dba
>user and create the database objects after starting the listener.(this all
>is done by a unix shell script)
>- The problem we faced was that we could not start the listener before hand
>as the sids were not created as yet.
>- We needed to do this so that the users don't have to stop their
>installation .
>Is there any way all the users can have a predefined listener.ora in their
>respective oracle_home directories and the listener is started (listener.ora
>will have all Oracle sids to be created by all the users) and they all can
>continue installing the database objects.
>Any ideas ?

First of all : if they are on the server, and they have ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME set *they don't need the listener AT ALL to connect* as they will be using IPC automatically. So I don't see why you should start the listener before creating database objects, it is completely unnecessary.
Secondly: as Oracle 7.3.4 has been desupported on December 31, 2000 I would recommend against training new people in Oracle 7.3.4. It doesn't exist anymore, it is not supported, and 8.0 will also disappear soon.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Feb 23 2001 - 15:38:00 CST