Re: backup strategy

From: Mike O <ora7dba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:17:36 -0600

Well, as a general rule I backup/secure my databases using not only a tape system but also Oracle's EXP (export) utility. The export utility is relatively common, in the shops that I have been in.

The ability to import (IMP) a specific schema is handy and quicker to use vs restoring a tablespace where the users objects are stored. Now keep in mind, a seperate tablespace (tbs) would be better than placing objects in a tbs with other objects not belonging to that user (for obvious reasons). Recovery of that tbs would require taking it offline which could affect more users than just the schema your concerned about.

So the long and the short ... if this is an on the fly process .. I would export before/after your process. It depends on your requirements. Sounds like you maybe deleting or truncating or dropping objects .. so if you need to go back to a process time (mins, hours, days) .. just create your exports w/a time-date stamp.

-Mike