Re: HELP ! ! ! temp tablespace

From: ahmed kashif <Ahmed_at_U.Arizona.Edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:51:24 -0700

guys, i think you were right. it's been ~22 hours now since i issued drop tablespace command, and it is still executing, but, since i had the listener down and nobody has ever connected since, i can see continous log switching in my bdump/alert*.log and a huge accumulation of .arc files in my /arc directory which something i going on. i am goona let it run forever, now, and i dont care how long it will take. thanks for the help.

--

Thanks,

ahmed

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

'GC' has almost certainly diagnosed your
problem correctly.  You have a 14Gb temp
tablespace which grew out of your control.

When you restart the database, you will
probably see the SMON processes running
at 100% to clean up the mess of extents
created in that temporary tablespace.

7 hours is NOT extreme - the newsgroup
has had reports to 14 - 21 hours for cleaning
up tablespaces with tens of thousands of
freed extents.  Just hang in there and wait.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html