default STORAGE clause when creating tables?

From: wayne <no_at_email.please.com>
Date: 23 Feb 2001 05:14:04 GMT

All right, I have been stumped as to why on earth creating a plain database with 8.1.7 on Win2K resulted in a SYSTEM tablespace of more than 1.5 GB. Importing data from an 8.0.6 DB that occupied less than 10GB now took more than 50GB under 8.1.7. Really strange, but more than anything, it prevented us from upgrading.

I found out that the problem was that the 8.1.7's default STORAGE clause for creating tables allocated 20MB as an initial extent for each table! (5 tables is at least 100 MB, 50 tables 1 GB, etc...)!

I found a work-around by using the alter table ... move ... storage (xxx) command and specifying down-to-earth storage values. My question is: How can I change the default storage parameters in a DB creation script so I create a database that allocates something less than 20MB per new table? Ideally it would be something like either 0 bytes or something really close to that.

I have looked everywhere for this info and cannot find a way to do it!

Thank you Received on Thu Feb 22 2001 - 23:14:04 CST