Re: DB2 vs. Oracle8i: Total Cost of Ownership

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:05:55 GMT

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:50:25 -0500, Kaarel Truuvert <truuvert_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote:

>These reports discuss DB2 UDB on the unix and intel platforms, not on
>OS/390.

Precisely.

>(Also, application development for DB2 on OS/390 can be done in a
>variety of languages, including Java, C, C++, Fortran, PL/I, REXX,
>assmebler, and yes, venerable old cobol.)

Wish you had explained that to IBM: just finished doing some work for them where the only thing they could use was Cobol. Everytime we asked the DB2 guys to do *anything*, out came Cobol. With three weeks of development time. And yes, it was UNIX. And DB2 U-whatever. Talk about pre-history...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Thu Feb 22 2001 - 15:05:55 CST