Re: Meaning of License High Water Mark

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:42:34 GMT

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:57:44 GMT, Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov> wrote:

>Ed,
>
>> A question has come up regarding the exact meaning of "License High
>> Water Mark" as reported in the <sid>alert.log file at database
>> shutdown.
>>
>> We thought it meant the max number of concurrent users that occurred
>> at any point in time during the database run. However, we have a
>
>That's always been my understanding of it too.
>
>> particular database that is only user-accessable from 5 machines --
>> which would make it physically impossible for more than 5 concurrent
>> users-- , yet it is reporting "License High Water Mark" values of
>> 150+.
>
>While it may only be accessible from only 5 machines, these 5 machines
>can make more than 5 concurrent connections. For instance, if I start 2
>SQL*Plus windows and connect to one database from one workstation, that
>counts as 2 connections. But I don't know why you got over 150?!?!?
>
>HTH,
>Brian
>

>--
>Brian Peasland
>Raytheons Systems at
> USGS EROS Data Center
>These opinions are my own and do not
>necessarily reflect the opinions of my
>company!
Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

While it is possible to have more than one session up on a given client machine (such as multiple instances of SQL*Plus), in this particular case, that is not a factor. The application runs on walk-up "kiosk" -- the PC is in a locked cabinet with only the face of a touch-screen monitor available to the user. The application runs "full screen" and it is next to impossible to get around or behind it to launch *any* other program.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)