Re: How many DB's can you create on one Oracle Server?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:10:12 +0100

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:46:56 -0500, Neil Rapley <rapley_at_MailAndNews.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me the maximum number of databases you can create on one
>Oracle Server? Any web-based reference to this would be good.
>
>Thanks,
>Neil.

No one can't, as the number of databases is limited by the number of resources on your server, and the resources individual databases will use.
Generally speaking you should use only one third of physical ram for SGA, so that is an indication.
If you think a 'database' in Oracle is the same thing as a 'database' in sqlserver you are mistaken, and you should read the Oracle Concepts Manual (as you are asking for a 'web reference') on http://technet.oracle.com What is a database in sqlserver is a schema in Oracle, so creating an Oracle database for every sqlserver database is *very* ill-advised

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Feb 21 2001 - 03:10:12 CST