Re: Oracle Licensing

From: Robert John Andersen <anderman_at_incarnation.anderware.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:38:20 GMT

In article <3A93FCFC.7391C1E0_at_overdrive.com>, "David Allamon" <dallamon_at_overdrive.com> wrote:

> I want to run Oracle8i on a Linux box that may add a second proc and/or
> have the proc upgraded. I may also add another box to the mix eventuall.
> In other words, i need to be able to grow some with the licensing.
>
> Oracle's site isn't clicking for me right now.
>
> Any ideas as to what licensing i would use? NU's and UPU's? Cost?
> Thanks, d

Universal Power Unit (UPU)
<# of computers> * <# of processors> * <processor Mhz> * <factor> = UPU factor:

	RISC: 1.5
	INTEL: 1.0

So, 2 processor 700Mhz intel machine:
	1 * 2 * 700 * 1.0 = 1400 UPU

Once you have that you multiply it by the licensing units you need, depending on what you get the price varies:

Named user licensing:
<# of computers> * <# of processors> * <processor Mhz> / 30 = named licensing units

using UPU's range
5.25 standard edition 2 year license: 5.25 enterprise edition perpetual: 100

using named licensing range:
single user 2 year: 56
multi user perpetual: 750

<licensing unit> * <licensing cost>

Volume discounts:
0k-5k: 0
5k+1-10k: 5%

10k+1-25k: 10%
25k+1-50k: 15%
50k+1-100k: 20%

100k+1-250k: 25%
250k+1-1000k: 30%
> 1000k+1: call

So:
1 computer, 2 processor, 700 Mhz INTEL, enterprise perpetual UPU licensing 1 * 2 * 700 * 1.0 = 1400 UPU * $100 licensing = 140K - 35K (discount) = 105K

I believe support is a percantage of your calculated price.

Go to the oracle store and put in what you need and you will see that cost.

RJA Received on Wed Feb 21 2001 - 19:38:20 CST