Re: Max SGA size in 32 bit Oracle

From: Xuequn Xu <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: 22 Feb 2001 05:21:04 GMT

GC, does the same application run faster in 64-bit oracle than in 32-bit version? I wonder whether larger SGA can buy you improved performance or not... In my understanding, the same application will probably not speed up in 64-bit; what the huge SGA buys you is the larger number of concurrent connections (i.e. allowing more tasks to be done, but each task may not necessarily run faster than it would in 32-bit oracle). Is this true? Thanks.

GC (assistant_madman_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
: kipnukdog wrote:
: >
: > Sybrand, thanks.
: > I understand the guidelines, but is it possible, say on a 16GB Memory machine
: > would you be able to allocate more than 2.5 GB to the SGA? (we have some very
: > large buffer_pool_keep requirements) I have read on a 32 bit Oracle
: > installation, 1.74GB is max, unless you remap the SGA in the kernel, and then
: > you are allowed up to 2.5GB.

: If you are running 64-bit, then yes, you can have a larger SGA than
: 2.5GB (we have a db with about 8GB sga).
: If it's 32-bit, then no, you are stuck with the 2.5GB limitation.

: Cheers,
: GC