Re: Response and performance issue

From: kyle hailey <oraperf_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:25:40 -0800

It looks like you've received a few reponses already on explain plan, which a great step if it is just one query. If the explain plan doesn't shore anything up then how about running

   ?/rdbms/admin/utlbstat.sql,utlestat.sql

on the two machines comparing them. There is a diff script I wrote on http://www.geocities.com/oraperf/seminar/utlstat_dif.html Its nice to easily see where the differences are.

If you want to just see the stats at session based, see http://www.geocities.com/oraperf/seminar/audit.html I believe Oracle has this info available with the auto trace stuff but I haven't played with it much.

If that doesn't show anything you might want to try truss, which I beleive has timing info, and see where the differences are.

Also, if the slowness is at application level, like the exact sql query is not know then you can dump v$sqlarea on the two databases and see what the most expensive sql queries are and then do explain plans on them to see what is different between the two databases. Its pretty easy to write a script to do this, an example of which is on

http://www.geocities.com/oraperf/seminar/sql.html

Best
Kyle Received on Wed Feb 21 2001 - 01:25:40 CST