Re: How does Oracle decide what init<sid>.ora to use?

From: Dave Haas <davidh_at_--nospam--hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:39:06 GMT

Hi Chris.

A couple of things:

  1. The sid is governed by the environment_variable ORACLE_SID (settable in many places). The easiest place to set it is:

RightClick->MyComputer, Select Properties Page->Environment Tab, Set it in the bottom box.

2. Don't shut a database down by stopping the service. That's BAD. It's effectively a shutdown abort (unless the proper registry setting has been applied, which changes with every release). After you shut down like that, you might as well bounce the box because the memory that Oracle was using is NOT properly released back to the OS.

3. It's the Database Creation Assistant that creates those batch files. If you create a database manually, you have to do it yourself (if you want to, it's not required).

HTH Dave Haas