Re: database link

From: Lothar Armbrüster <la_at_oktagramm.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:12:50 +0100

christophe wrote:
> hi,
> i created a database link from a database called ox4i to a remote base
> called mgv8 on two different hosts.
> i used the command: create database link mine connect to login
> identified by password using 'mgv_service'
> the link was created and i am able to connect on mgv8 with the command
> :
> connect login/password_at_mgv_service
> so mgv_service is available
> but as i tried to read a table in mgv8 from ox4i using the command:
> select * from table1_at_mine,
> i got the error: TNS error could not resolve tns name mine.
>
> could someone help me?

Hello Christophe,
are you able to connect to mgv_service from the server hosting ox4i? Since the database link uses the connection information stored on the server not on the client, the server has to be able to connect to the second database.
If you're running NT and having the OEM installed, there are two places where connection information is stored:
..\ora817\network\admin and ...\oem22\network\admin The first one is used when connecting via a databse link and the second one is the default one when starting Net8Assist.

Hope that helps,
Lothar

PS: Since I'm writing this at home with no Oracle available, the paths and binary names may

    differ slightly. :-)

--
Lothar Armbrüster       | la_at_oktagramm.de
Hauptstr. 26            | la_at_heptagramm.de