newbie thrown in the Oracle fire

From: <vlaurent_at_networkusa.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:26:29 GMT

I have been tasked to install Oracle 8.1.7 and set a few things up. I did the generic install since I haven't done and install before. Now a few issues are cropping up:

I used the default tablespace of system for the install. Now I read on-line: " I scarcely need repeat the cardinal rule that other than the data dictionary nothing should be allowed in the SYSTEM tablespace that can possibly go elsewhere. In particular, no user, other than SYS, should have SYSTEM as their DEFAULT TABLESPACE. And no user, not even SYS, should have SYSTEM as their TEMPORARY TABLESPACE." This is the default, which I did. I see problems here.

I used the default install but I need 1G of tablespace vs what they gave my in system. How do I see what I have and how do I change it?

I need to create 8 rollback segments with an initial size of 128K and a next size of 128K wit a minimum number of 2 and a maximum number of 121.

When the datafiles got created I told the install to put them in /oracle/oradata. Now they are in /oracle/oradata/oradata/edi. Is the location of the datafiles in the init.ora? Where else might that info be so I can move the data?

Help!
Thanks! Received on Mon Feb 19 2001 - 15:26:29 CST