Re: newbie thrown in the Oracle fire

From: Uchakra <uchakra_at_aol.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2001 04:42:19 GMT

I have a simple suggestion.

Be a little proactive and create another Oracle database where you can check out
all Oracle commands and features
following simple examples found in
many books.
Essentially, if you have been able to
connect to the database using
svrmgrl > connect intsernal or
sqlplus> sys or
sqlplus> system

after setting ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME correctly, you are in a good postion to try different things.
Don't play with a database if you think
it is a production database or will be a production database. Create a database of your own and use and learn the following
thoroughly ( among other things )

svrmgrl> select * from dba_data_files ;

It gives you among other things the list of datafiles

svrmgrl > create tablespace syntax

svrmgrl > create user syntatx
svrmgrl > alter user ( to change default and temporary tablespace )

svrmgrl> create rollback segment syntax

If you pose specific questions after getting a good confidence in the areas I have
mentioned , many experienced DBAs will
help with specific solutions.

I have seen the book " Learn Oracle8i on NT in 21 days ".

If you ignore the NT specific stuff, 90% pf the book goes through step by step
instructions of doing most of the routine DBA work with easy to understand examples. These apply equally to Oracle8i on both NT and Unix. I am sure if
you follow the examples in the book, you will soon be able to navigate around the database confidently.

Regards
Willy Received on Mon Feb 19 2001 - 22:42:19 CST