Connecting to local database without database alias

From: Chris S <cschofie_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:30:50 GMT

I have installed a number of Oracle 8.0.5 databases on individual workstations, and I can connect to the database on the local machine by entering the connect string (eg) system/manager - that is, I don't have to enter @<alias> . This is the only database on the workstation.

Now I'm installing Oracle 8.1.6 on workstations, and I'm finding that I have to enter an alias under all circumstances. Has the default installation changed? (these are all straight-forward installs on NT 4, OEM edition - not personal).

What communiction method was 8.0.5 using to allow no connect string - bequeath? named pipes? Can I install some protocol and/or make some setting changes on the 8.1.6 environment so that the alias is not needed? Again, these were all very basic, default installs.

Thanks! Chris

Remove 'nospam' from email to reply - Thanks Received on Sun Feb 18 2001 - 13:30:50 CST