Re: distinct too slow

From: Myron Wintonyk <mwintony_at_med.ualberta.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:20:18 +1000

If this is a multi table join, you might try using hints.

With the distinct clause, a "RULE" hint often works. Note the word often in the previous sentence. I generally discourage the use of the RULE hint, however, it may help with this query.

I quite often use the rule hint to determine if there are appropriate indexes.
If rule doesn't use them, then I ask why the indexes aren't there or, is there
a missing join?

Either way, the index mentioned by someone else was a good idea ...