ORA-03113 end of file on communication channel - solved for me

From: Chris S <cschofie_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:01:50 GMT

I was desparately trying to create a database using the database configuration wizard when I ran into this error at the '3%' mark of the creation process. My app was working fine on an older version of oracle (8.0.5) and I'd uninstalled, re-installed 8.1.6, then got this. Previously, the database was working fine.

It turns out the issue was - this was a laptop, and was normally docked, and part of an NT domain. I was working on this laptop at home, and thus it was not docked, and not physically connected to the domain (but I was signing on to the domain, with cached credentials, as is our practice). Having read the various posts about this error, I tried docking it (docking station at home) - no luck, even with a docking station + ethernet card. I tried hooking it to my home network (to see if DHCP or DNS issues mattered). Finally, I rebooted and logged on to the local computer account, not the domain account, and ... it worked. Normally, even when not connected to our domain, our laptop users still sign onto the domain because of security issues, and so they get the same desktop, etc. But in this case, the act of signing on to the domain, which was not present, was the problem.

Once I created the database, I logged off/logged back onto the domain account (which times out, of course, and thus signs you on with cached credentials) and the database / application worked just fine.

So there is an anomaly in the create wizard, it seems. Wasted HOURS of my time!

Remove 'nospam' from email to reply - Thanks Received on Sat Feb 17 2001 - 19:01:50 CST