Re: Problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 08:25:35 +1100

"Rob Fegan" <l120bj_at_aol.com> wrote in message news:20010217051545.28493.00001332_at_ng-cn1.aol.com...
> >Subject: Problem
> >From: francis_at_mail.com (FL)
> >Date: 2/17/01 7:31 AM GMT Standard Time
> >
> >What is the difference of noarchivelog mode or archivelog mode?
> >

> Hi Francis,
> Archivelog mode means that the Oracle online redo logs are archived to
> separate files before the are re-used by the database.

Sorry to be picky Rob, but archivelog mode doesn't mean that at all. Archivelog simply means that online redo logs are not over-written *unless* they've been archived. Setting archivelog mode says absolutely nothing about how, when or where the actual archiving should take place... for that, you have to set the init.ora parameters.

I wouldn't normally worry about the distinction, except that I can't tell you how many times I see people doing an 'alter database archivelog', and then wondering why their database hangs, ten minutes and a few transactions later.

Yet issuing that command undoubtedly puts your database into archivelog mode as a quick glance at v$database will tell you.

I know what you meant, however, and everything you write below is spot on.

Regards
HJR