Re: ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 07:35:14 +0100

It is not strange, but also not well known: *all* indexes are created as temporary segment in the target tablespace. After the temporary segment has been created it is renamed to the index name you specified.

So before that you would get 1652, after the index creation when it should fail to extend the usual errors.

Hope to have filled in the 'gap'

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Vadim Grepan" <kezal_at_mail.ru> wrote in message news:3A8A9F18.7DCF314F_at_mail.ru...
> Hello!
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> It's strange because no one user doesn't have this tablespace as
 temporary.

> Rgds, Vadim Grepan
> ------------------------
> Moscow, Russia
>
> Jim Kennedy wrote:
>
> > You don't have enough space in tablespace IMI_NDX which you are using as
> > temp tablespace. Why? Well, you said compress=Y and that means for
 each
> > object that you import start with an initial size (extent) that is equal
> > the total size in the old instance. But an extent must be a contigous
 set
> > of blocks and an extent cannot span a physical file.
> >
> > You need to make the IMI_NDX space larger.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > --
> > Our new email address is kennedy-family_at_home.com
> > .
> > "Vadim Grepan" <kezal_at_mail.ru> wrote in message news
> > :3A8A4CC6.52A79A3_at_mail.ru...
> > > Hello All!
> > > I've moved scheme from 8.1.6 instance to 8.1.7 instance.
> > > Export has been done with options COMPRESS=Y and ROWS=N.
> > > During import i've got ORA-01658 for all interMedia indexes,
> > > meanwhile datafiles are the same size as on old instance.
> > >
> > > All tablespaces are coalesced.
> > > Will reducing default INITIAL segment help ?
> > >
> > > === Error message from alert.log ===
> > > . . .
> > > ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 38400 in tablespace
> > > IMI_NDX
> > > . . .
> > > === ===
> > >
> > > Here is export error message:
> > > . . .
> > > IMP-00017: following statement failed with ORACLE error 29855:
> > > "CREATE INDEX "NDX_AUTHOR_FULL_NAME" ON "TBL_AUTHOR"
 ("AUTHOR_FNAME" )