Beginner Questions

From: Dave <itsnotimportant_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:45:54 GMT

Oracle 8i is itself an OS or sorts as I understand it. It's a server box. Application Server (software) is installed on other machines which interact with the 8i box, again as I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong to this point.

Once those pieces are put into place, Oracle Developer is used to create forms for entry clerks to communicate with the 8i box through the Application Server software...is this right?

What OS should be run on the Application Server systems? I am looking at Solaris for stability.

Presumably, each person who needs to communicate with the 8i box should have their own machine, correct? It's just like any other networking situation, as supposed to having 'dummy' terminals...?

Last question...I have contacted Oracle, but may get a speedier response through here. How much does an 8i server box go for (approx)? Application Server software? Oracle Developer?

I will continue to search Oracle.com, but until then, I'd appreciate any help.

Dave Received on Fri Feb 16 2001 - 11:45:54 CST