Re: Need suggestions for filesystem config, spindle separation, striping for HP-UX/PeopleSoft

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 15:39:05 +1100

Kyle -that's rather taken out of context. My response referred to the suggestion that "[the] performance tuning manuals ... say that ... since the index is read first, then the table afterward ... therefore there is no disk contention issue."

Clearly there is. The question I suppose then comes down to how serious that contention is, and whether any given implementation can minimise or eliminate it. Striping is a perfectly fine way of doing just that, given enough spindles (ye olde RAID 0+1 being a thoroughly recommended implementation methodology). Separating tables and indexes is also a perfectly fine way.

Your take on performance being what the Users notice, and therefore write contention not being an issue is an interesting one -but as you go on to explain that anything that slows down DBWR is capable of provoking performance degradation that Users *will* start noticing, we needn't pursue it.

Regards